14 total views, 2 views today
India and World – Far East
- Small island states
- We have only two diplomatic missions – in Suva, Fiji and Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
- Islands face similar challenges of socio-economic development as developing countries elsewhere
- Climate change is a real and pressing concern for them.
- Energy is a key priority as these islands are located far from known sources of oil and gas. The real choice revolves around the renewable sources
- In August 2010, India had reiterated its commitment to the economic development of region and its greater integration with the Indian economy.
- India needs to craft a comprehensive long-term strategy on development cooperation with the regions, keeping in view the geo-political trends
- Interaction needs to be intensified through all channels – bilateral, regional and multilateral
- India’s interaction with the Pacific Islands Forum should be expanded
- Indian diaspora there